- Coach/Trainer of Barnabas Leadership Group, a leadership development program for pastors and other church leaders focusing on care of the soul and development of the leader.
- Mediation Skills Training Institute for Church Leaders 32 hours of training in conflict transformation and mediation by Richard Blackburn of the Lombard Mennonite Peace Center. Topics included a biblical base to conflict mediation, basic family systems theory at work in conflict, conflict styles, individual mediation, group mediation and healing strategies for congregations.
- Presbytery Leader Formation
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
Three year training including annual 1-week residencies, monthly coaching, and on-going peer support in professional presbytery leadership. Topics include the changing church culture, conflict mediation, dealing with difficult people, budget management, managing change, and more.
- Interim Pastor’s Education Conference (week 1)
Zephyr Point, Lake Tahoe NV
One week training focusing on the specific challenges and skills needed for successful transitional ministry.
- Developed and implemented the Future Story Project.
Together with my colleagues we worked this project based on appreciate inquiry, demographics, and missional church foundations, with dozens of congregations.
- Journey Group on Missional Identity
Western Theological Seminary, Holland MI
Three year peer study and learning experience focusing on the Missional Church. In-depth study and conversation with leaders in Missional Church such as: George Hunsberger, Darrel Guder, Phil Kenneson, Ina Grace Diettrich, Eunice Barrett, Eddie Gibbs and Craig Van Gelder.
- Acts 16:5 Initiative with E. Stanley Ott
As one of the first to engage in congregational development with the Acts 16:5 initiative, I worked not only as a leader/pastor of a congregation in the program, but as a small group leader, and later as the presbytery leader in the organization and implementation of the three year initiative.
- various workshops and classes with Bill Easum and Associates (now 21st Century Strategies)
including intensive week-long courses in “Turn Around Church” and “Put Your Own O2 Mask on First”
- early participant in The Gospel and our Culture Network and Emergent Church
attended conferences and gatherings, participated in online discussions and communities, read various books and articles
- various training events with Herb Miller on Evangelism and Church Growth, Reggie McNeal on Missional Church, Chip Arn on Evangelism, Martha Grace Reese on Evangelism
- Church Planting (Barnabas Training) with Glenn Smith through the New Church Initiatives with Memorial Drive Presbyterian Church, Houston, TX
- Annual New Church Development Training Events with PCUSA
- coached and consulted with more than 30 church plants through the Presbytery of New Covenant, Presbytery of Detroit, and non-Presbyterian initiatives.
- Trained as coach/trainer by Barnabas Leadership Group, Vital Churches Institute
- Consultant Training through Jill Hudson
designed the training with Jill Hudson and Mary Marcotte to train a team of ongoing consultants/coaches in the Presbytery of New Covenant. I was also a participant/learner during the training.
- NCD Pastor Coach training (audit)
offered through the PCUSA
- M.Div. Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary
1983 – 1987 Louisville, Kentucky
- B.A. State University of New York at Fredonia
major in Psychology; concentration in Social Work
1981-1983 Fredonia New York
Revised June 19, 2015